Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easy French Toast

by Justine C. Tajonera

Easy French Toast

What you'll need:

  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk (I used the low-fat variety)
  • 1/3 tsp salt (or less)
  • 1/3 tsp sugar
  • 4 pieces of bread (I used the whole wheat variety)
  • a little butter
Procedure:
  • Pre-heat the pan and spread a little butter over it.
  • Beat the eggs and add the milk, the salt (I used a little under 1/3 tsp) and the sugar. Mix.
  • Pour the mixture on a flattish pan so that when you dip the bread, it can thoroughly soak up the egg mixture.
  • Dip the bread into the pan with the egg mixture.
  • Fry the bread over the pan until both sides are golden brown.
  • Serve with butter and honey or maple syrup. I also fried some lean bacon to go with our French toast.
Butter and Brunch Love

I love butter. I know it's bad for me because of all the fat. But I just love it. I love the smell of it, especially when it's cooking. So, when I was making the French toast, I was in butter and milk heaven. I over-soaked some of the pieces of bread and ended up with a not-so-soaked last bread piece. But overall our French toast was yummy and the bacon went well with it.

I love morning treats like these. Pancakes, French toast... one of these days I might make some toaster oven scones (if there's even such a thing). I think I'm a brunch type of person. That's why I love breakfast places like Pancake House, Heaven & Eggs and Flap Jacks. I associate it with family time and lots of happy conversation around the table.

Here's to more of them (butter and brunch)... in moderation. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment