Sunday, February 21, 2010

Easy Fish Fillet in Wine Sauce and Creamy Asparagus & Corn


By Justine C. Tajonera

I got this recipe from the South Beach Diet book. It was extremely easy to follow and it's healthy as well. I just substituted the chicken fillet with fish fillet.

What you'll need:
  • 4 tablespoons extra virgin oil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed (but in my case, I chopped it)
  • 1/2 kilo cream dory (or two sides of fish), cut into strips
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (in my case, I used the small bottle of wine that we got as a gift: Fortant Sauvignon Blanc)
  • 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
Procedure:
  1. In a medium skillet, heat the oil and the garlic over medium heat.
  2. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper, then add to the skillet and cook for 7-10 minutes (in my case, 10 minutes).
  3. Add the white wine and cook for an additional two minutes.
  4. Remove the fish to a platter.
  5. Saute the tomatoes until tender.
  6. Place the tomatoes over the kitchen and cover with pan drippings.
Serves 3-4.

Side Dish: Creamy Corn and Asparagus (half invented and half lifted from Naty, my Dad's housekeeper)

What you'll need:
  • 1 can corn kernels (you can also try creamed corn but for the dish I cooked last Saturday, I used whole corn kernels)
  • 4-5 stalks of asparagus, cut into 2-3 pieces per stalk
  • 1/2 onion bulb or less, chopped
  • 1/3 clove of garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
Procedure:
  • Saute the garlic and onion.
  • Add the asparagus stalks. Cook until asparagus stalk is no longer tough.
  • Add the corn.
  • Season with some salt and pepper.
  • Add the cream.
  • Keep stirring for another 2-3 minutes. Then serve.

Sacred Sunday

I cooked this dish last Sunday, after swimming with Badger in the condo pool. Just that Friday Badger had been sick (read my poem about it here). But by Sunday, he was excited and full of his usual exuberant spirit. I remember just keeping my beach caftan on, not even bothering to shower or comb my hair because I was excited to cook. Of course, the dish was too sophisticated for Badger who usually opts for tuna hotdog and rice. But it was wonderful to be home, cooking something that smelled good and was easy to make too. With the smell of simmering garlic, olive oil and wine, Badger played with his blocks before settling down for a meal with his mommy and daddy. I wonder if he will remember, one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment