Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Flipping Sunday Pancakes














by Justine C. Tajonera

My first attempt at cooking, since the start of this blog, was Sunday Pancakes. My sister asked me if I made it from scratch (which would have been a feat worth bragging about) but, no. I told her, "I made the pancakes from a box" to which she responded, encouragingly, "Hey, that's still something!"

I won't put up the recipe here because... it's on the box of pancakes.

But here are some things I learned:

  1. My husband suggested that we add an egg to the mix (even if the directions did not include it). It came out pretty well.
  2. When they start the directions with "preheat the pan," you should really preheat the pan. Hahaha! Typically stubborn, I told myself that since this was my first time I should just concentrate on mixing the batter. But what I didn't expect was the amount of time it takes to get the pan heated in the first place. Unless the pan is hot and ready, your batter will just lie there and amass some oil. So, to be efficient with your time, trust the directions.
  3. I love flipping pancakes!!! I get really excited to turn over a pancake and see that I didn't ruin it. I think this is exactly how I will feel about flipping an omelet.
  4. After cooking, I made sure to soak my cooking utensils and pan in water so I wouldn't have trouble scraping off the dried up batter later on.
  5. We used a box of pancakes that came with syrup. According to my husband we save money this way because we only buy enough syrup for the one serving and we don't need to store syrup in the fridge.

Next time, I'll see what I can do about making pancakes from scratch (or maybe modifying the pancakes and adding more exciting stuff to it).

I just love pancakes. I associate pancakes with "the good things in life." I don't know when I started doing that. I mean, it's just fried batter, right? Whenever I eat pancakes I feel like it's a special occasion. I guess my enthusiasm over pancakes rubbed off on my son because he really loves it too. What was so great about making my own pancakes was the idea that I could rely on myself and trust myself to create something that I love to eat without waiting for anyone to do it for me. Also, it was really thrilling for me to actually prepare it and serve it to my husband and son, with love.

That's how I saw my pancakes: not the best pancakes in the world... but special pancakes, nevertheless, because they were full of my love for my family.

Calling on people who have pancakes recipes they want to share!

(Feb. 3, 2010)
Image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/31899105@N05/3683698682/

2 comments:

  1. hey jus,

    i love pancakes, too. i consider them a treat - especially if bruce makes them for me! they are pretty simple to make but for some reason they are special.

    love,
    m. monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ms. justine im also making pancake from the box but instead of adding water to the mixture I add evaporated milk.. I also put in some grated cheese..:D

    dej

    ReplyDelete